Schmidt Science Fellows Program 2024: Making a Lasting Difference in the World Are you dedicated to engaging with society and creating a lasting impact in the world? The Schmidt Science Fellows program in 2024 offers the brightest emerging scientists an opportunity to develop innovative solutions to societal challenges, become thought leaders in scientific and societal domains, and accelerate groundbreaking discoveries. We are seeking exceptional individuals from the natural sciences, mathematics, engineering, and computing who are eager to broaden their horizons.
Applicants for the Schmidt Science Fellows program should have a strong track record of scientific achievement during their PhD studies, coupled with intellectual curiosity and a drive to advance future discoveries.
Selected fellows will receive a generous stipend of $100,000 USD per year and will be supported in pursuing a one to two-year postdoctoral placement at a world-leading laboratory, enabling them to pivot from their PhD research. Fellows will also have access to a Global Meeting Series and personalized mentoring program. The University of British Columbia (UBC) is among the select group of renowned science and engineering institutions invited to nominate students for this prestigious international competition. In 2022, 29 Schmidt Science Fellows were chosen as recipients globally.
To be eligible for nomination and potential selection as a Schmidt Science Fellow, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of all requirements for the conferral of their UBC PhD, including a successful defense, between June 1, 2023, and July 30, 2024. Please note that prospective UBC students are not eligible for nomination.
- Graduate degree conducted in the natural sciences (Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Earth Sciences), Engineering, Mathematics, or Computing, including all sub-disciplines.
- Availability for the entire duration of the 2024 program, from July 2024 to September 2025, including attendance at the Global Meeting Series (whether virtual or in person, depending on conditions) and additional virtual programming.
The Schmidt Science Fellows program is committed to equal opportunities for all candidates. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, parental status, marital or civil partner status, race, color, ethnic or national origin, nationality, religion, or belief.
The Schmidt Science Fellows program in 2024 is looking for exceptional minds in the natural sciences, mathematics, engineering, and computing who are interested in broadening their horizons. They seek candidates who are willing to pivot from their PhD research area and embark on a challenging and rewarding period of study in an alternative discipline, under the guidance of world-leading scientists.
Successful applicants will be encouraged and supported to take ambitious scientific risks during their postdoctoral placement. The proposed research pivot should represent a genuine and innovative departure from their PhD studies, aiming to acquire new skills in a different area and establish interdisciplinary research lines that lead the field and have significant societal impact.
Research placements are not limited to specific institutions. Schmidt Science Fellows have the freedom to choose a world-class laboratory anywhere in the world, subject to program approval and assurance that the host organization can meet the fellows’ individual training and research needs. This presents a unique opportunity to study in an exceptional lab and candidates are encouraged to consider the freedom, flexibility, and global outlook this opportunity provides.
Moreover, Schmidt Science Fellows are expected to become leaders in the scientific community, demonstrating a keen interest in interdisciplinary collaboration and engagement with wider society. Candidates should possess the drive to address the world’s most pressing issues and the ability to lead, inspire, and foster cross-disciplinary collaborations to expedite discovery and achieve impactful solutions.
Application Procedure for the Schmidt Science Fellows Program 2024
Applicants to the Schmidt Science Fellows Program 2024 should submit their application materials to their UBC graduate program. It is important to check with the respective UBC graduate program for the internal application deadline.
A complete application must include the following:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) with a list of publications (maximum three pages)
- Brief description of the applicant’s PhD research (maximum one page)
- Personal statement (maximum one page) addressing:
- Leadership qualities, including character, leadership potential, perseverance, resilience, moral compass, and galvanizing force of personality
- Global ambition for social good, showcasing a desire to utilize personal talents and scientific knowledge to make a positive difference in society and the world
- Fellowship Research Proposal (maximum two pages) covering:
- Description of the proposed postdoctoral research direction, highlighting a genuine, ambitious, and innovative departure from the PhD studies
- Clear goals to acquire new skills in a different area and establish interdisciplinary research lines with the potential for significant rewards and societal impact
- Alignment with the Schmidt Science Fellows program, emphasizing interest in pursuing 12-24 months of postdoctoral study in a different field and recognizing the importance of interdisciplinary science and scientific risk-taking for advancement of discovery
- Demonstrated history of effective collaboration with diverse team members, showcasing a collaborative spirit
- Options for placement (maximum one page), including three brief outlines of potential labs where the research could be conducted. It is not necessary to contact or secure a position at this stage, and the options presented are not final or binding.
- One letter of support (maximum two pages) signed and on letterhead, addressing the evaluation criteria. The referee should be able to convincingly speak to the applicant’s future potential, beyond their current abilities.
Application Deadline: Expected in April 2024
Annual Value: $100,000 USD per year
Citizenship: Canadian, Permanent Resident, International