Excellence Scholarship Programme from the Government of Mexico for International Students 2023
The Government of Mexico is offering the Excellence Scholarship Programme for International Students 2023. This scholarship covers tuition fees, medical expenses, monthly stipends, and air flights for international students pursuing honours, master’s, or doctoral degrees.
Call for Excellence Scholarships of the Government of Mexico for Foreigners 2023
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE), through the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID), invites foreigners interested in studying in Mexico to participate in the Call for Excellence Scholarships of the Government of Mexico for Foreigners 2023. This call is open to students at the specialty, master’s, doctoral, and postgraduate research levels, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate student mobility programs.
The Call is offered to more than 180 countries through bilateral agreements, multilateral mechanisms, and special agreements. More than 80 Mexican Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) participate in this Call, all offering academic programs registered in the National Postgraduate System of the National Council of Science and Technology, showcasing the country’s progress in various fields of science and humanities.
By granting Excellence Scholarships to foreign students, Mexico reinforces its global responsibility and commitment to fostering cooperation actions to develop high-level human capital. The presence of international students, academics, and scientists in Mexico contributes to the establishment of permanent and long-term dialogue bridges that enrich the foreign policy agenda with actions of exceptional value for Mexico and its international partners. Additionally, the internationalization of Mexican HEIs and the academic community is enhanced.
Call for Merit Scholarships
The Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID), on behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, invites foreign citizens interested in pursuing specialization, master’s, or doctoral degrees, conducting graduate or postdoctoral research, or participating in undergraduate or graduate-level academic mobility programs to apply for the 2023 Mexican Government Scholarship Program for International Students. Scholarships are available to applicants from more than 180 countries through bilateral conventions, multilateral programs, and special agreements. More than 80 Mexican institutions offer academic programs registered with the National Council for Science and Technology (CONACYT) as part of the National Postgraduate System, demonstrating Mexico’s progress in the sciences and humanities.
Through the Mexican government scholarships for international students, Mexico strengthens its role as a global actor and reaffirms its commitment to cooperation programs that contribute to the development of highly skilled human capital. The presence of international students, academics, and scientists in Mexico fosters long-term dialogue and enriches the foreign policy agenda, benefiting Mexico and its international partners. Furthermore, Mexican institutions and the academic community gain from increased internationalization.
The objective of the scholarship program is to contribute to the development of high-level academic human capital by granting scholarships for full-time, in-person training programs in Mexico at the master’s and doctoral levels, student mobility at the undergraduate and master’s levels, as well as postgraduate stays.
The scholarship duration varies according to the modality:
- Undergraduate Mobility Program: Maximum of 24 months
- Master’s Mobility Program: Maximum of 12 months
- Master’s Program: Maximum of 24 months
- Doctoral Program: Maximum of 36 months
- Postgraduate Research Stays (Master’s, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral): Maximum of 12 months
Selected applicants will receive the following benefits from AMEXCID:
- For Master’s scholarships, mobility at the bachelor’s and master’s levels, and master’s level research, a monthly stipend of 4 (four) times the monthly value of the Federal Economic Measurement Unit (UMA), currently equivalent to $12,614.80 (Twelve thousand six hundred fourteen pesos and 80/100 M.N.) per month. The UMA is subject to changes established by law. (Stipend is paid in the following month).
- For Doctoral scholarships and research stays at the doctoral and postdoctoral levels, a monthly stipend of 5 (five) times the monthly value of the UMA, currently equivalent to $15,768.50 (Fifteen thousand seven hundred sixty-eight pesos and 50/100 M.N.). The UMA is subject to changes established by law. (Stipend is paid in the following month).
- Enrollment and tuition fees, according to the program of each Mexican Educational Institution (Annex 1), subject to the final decision of each institution as indicated in their acceptance letter.
- Medical insurance coverage through the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS). The coverage starts from the seventh month of the scholarship and lasts for a period similar to the scholarship duration (Annex 2).
- Payment waiver for issuing the Mexican visa.
- International air flight transportation upon satisfactory completion of the academic program. AMEXCID will determine the flight route. Please refer to the list of countries eligible for this benefit (Annex 3).
- National transportation: If the studies are conducted outside Mexico City, transportation from Mexico City to the host city of the receiving academic institution will be covered, as well as transportation back to Mexico City upon completion of the scholarship period with satisfactory academic results. This benefit applies only to national airfare or ground transportation (Annex 4).
- In all applicable cases, AMEXCID will purchase the air flight ticket, and individual purchases will not be eligible for refunds.
- Any changes the scholarship recipient wishes to make to the airline ticket purchased by AMEXCID after issuance will be covered by the recipient.
- If the assigned national transportation is ground transportation, the scholarship recipient must pay for the bus fare and will be reimbursed for the amount spent.
- The administration and management of the aforementioned benefits will be the responsibility of AMEXCID’s Direction of Academic Exchange, and selected candidates will be notified before the scholarship is formalized.
The selection of applicants is made without any distinction based on ethnic origin, gender, age, disabilities, social status, health conditions, religion, opinions, sexual preferences, marital status, or any other situation and/or condition that undermines human dignity and aims to nullify or undermine people’s rights and freedoms. The selection is subject to the following criteria:
- Submission of all the documents requested in this call.
- Academic excellence background of the applicant.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have never received an AMEXCID scholarship.